I have been looking forward to IMATS since last year. Why such a long time? Last year I really got into makeup and when I saw IMATS being advertised, I couldn't find anyone to go with me. When I finally decided to go by myself, tickets were sold out and I was out of luck. So I signed up for the emails and I was immediately notified when tickets went on sale! Then my friend said she would come up for a visit and go to IMATS, but she didn't buy her ticket on time so she missed out. Long story short, I found a Saturday ticket and my friend Jessica jumped at the chance to get it so she's my life's savior! Now I don't have to go alone!
I've been doing a lot of research and I am just so excited to go! Here are my tips!
What to Wear
- I am still hoping to bring an empty backpack or messenger bag. It's going to be fairly cool on Saturday so I will probably be wearing a jacket. I don't think there's a coat check and since I'm not going to want to carry my coat around with me the whole time, I'd like to bring a bag to put it in and some of the smaller purchases.
- Definitely comfy shoes! I'm going to be on my feet all day so comfy shoes are a must! Sperrys to the rescue!
- Comfy clothes! You're going to be standing and wandering around all day so you should pick your comfiest outfit you have! I will probably be going in leggings and a sweater!
What to Bring
- I do plan on bringing a bottled water and a snack, maybe a granola bar of sorts, just in case I get hungry while waiting in line! However, I am someone who likes ice cold water (or drinks in general for that matter) so I might skip the water and buy it there.
- Bring some cash in case their wifi isn't working! Also, I've heard at some of the busier booths if you know what you want, write it down on a piece of paper and you can walk up to the front of the line, hand someone that paper, and they can get everything for you! They should have an ATM there but if that line is super long, you'll be glad you brought some cash!
- Your camera! This may sound obvious as most of you will use your camera that's on your phone, but if you want to do any vlogging/blogging, bring your camera! And make sure you charge it the night before as well as your phone!
- Makeup wipes! Chances are you'll be doing a lot of swatching so
- Doors open at 9 a.m. so I am hoping to be there around 8:00 a.m.
- If you're driving in, make sure to check out garages near and far to the venue. The earlier you get there, the better chance of getting a spot!
- For the busier booths, I think I might try to get in line for those first (I'm looking at you, Sigma, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Tarte, Morphe, and Makeup Forever!). Then since I'm going to have a few people in my group, two people can stand in line while another can go scout out another nearby booth if they want!
- Set a budget! Look at the things you want, make a list, and stick to your budget! Many booths will be offering generous discounts but you should still try to stick to your budget! Obviously having a discretionary budget is nice b/c they may be offering something you didn't know you needed! And you'll be discovering brands you weren't familiar with beforehand!
- If you come across a limited edition (god I hate LE) and you're on the fence about it, SNAG IT UP! If you don't, you will probably regret it and not be able to find it again for a reasonable price!
- This one may be obvious, but take lots of pictures! You might get super excited and wrapped up in everything, but remember to take lots of pictures! This is one I'm going to have to tattoo on my arm!
- If you can, bring lots of business cards to hand out to people! Don't by shy to introduce yourself to the people working the booths and to the owners.
- If you want to network, you could join the FaceBook page or start a meetup during this time.
What brands are you most excited about going to? I have been waiting months to go to Hakuhodo! I cannot wait! I just need to look online and figure out which brushes I really want. I'm just praying they have a good discount! I hope Chikuhodo will be at the Beautylish booth too. Last year was Year of the Makeup for me, and this year it's Year of the Brush!
I hope this has helped you! Enjoy yourself! Have fun, learn a lot, and you always need another taupe eyeshadow and red lipstick!